Amla consist of dried, as well as fresh fruits of the plant Emblica officinalis belonging to family Euphorbiaceae. It is small or medium size tree found in all deciduous forest of India.
- Color- The Green color changes to light yellow or brick red at maturity
- Odor- Odourless
- Taste- The taste of Amla is sore and astringent
- Size- The average size of an Amla is between 1.5 and 2.5cm in diameter
- Shape- The fruit are depressed, globular .
Fruits are freshly obscurely 4 lobed with 6-trygonus seeds. They are very hard and smooth in appearance.
- It is used as Acrid, Diuretics, Refrigerant and laxative
- Given in diarrhoea and dysentery
- Administered in jaundice and dyspepsia along with iron compound
- Used in Hairoils and Shampoos as it promotes hair growth
- Seeds of the fruits are given in the treatment of asthma and bronchitis
- Anti-viral properties as it is a rich source of vitamin C
- Popular ingredients of Triphala and Chyawanprash
- Antioxidant -Improve skin health and slow the ageing process